Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Zacharia the silversmith


My name is Zacharia.

In am an apprentice to Mr.Shorts, the silversmith. I work at a place called The Silver Shop.

A silver smith makes silverware and cups.

I am learning how to make utensils. You mold or beat the cup into a shape with a hammer. I melt it in graphite in a clay crucible to about 2,000 degrees. I pour the liquid silver into a tallow greased, sorted cast iron mold to produce an ingot. Using a large hammer, I would hot forge the ingot into a billet- thick sheet which I then cut into a circle. It is a hard job to do.

3 comments:

  1. Zacharia - I am very impressed by how much you have learned about silver smith making already from Mr. Shorts. Perhpas if you work really hard and learn all you need to know, you can open your own silversmith shop someday - what would you name your shop? xo Abigail (your mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom I love being a silver smith. If I were to name the store I would name it The silver smith shop. I love you. Zacharia

    ReplyDelete