Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I am the son of a slave


Hi my name is Johnathan Richardson. My father and I are slaves to the White family.
I work in the fields with my father, James Richardson. I never met my Mother. She was sent to another family. Today, in the field, I picked corn. I had to shuck it too. My dad was whipped for not shucking enough corn. Then I had to pick the seasonings. It was hard to find the right herbs. I could see slaves trapped in cages like wild animals. When ever I walked through the town, I can see slaves getting beaten. One day I was walking and saw a man beaten to death.Another day I saw a slave trampled by a horse. It is very upsetting. I know I can never be bad because I don't want a beating. I wish I could run away but I would never leave my father

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you haven't met your mother. being A SLAVE SEEMS HARD.
    FROM FRAN ROSE AT PS181

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johnathan it's Abagail grate post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jonathan,
    I admire your courage and loyalty in the face of such hardship. Don't ever let the way anyone treats you, make you forget the fine qualities you have inside you. They are yours to keep.

    Love,
    Ms. Thorne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jonathan, If you choose to escape, follow the north star to freedom. We know that some slaves bought thier own freedom and freedom for other members of thier fmilies. Have you heard of the undergroung railroad and Harriet Tubman? There are also some kind White people called abolitionist that help slaves escape, learn to read and get thier freedom. I hope you meet some of them. Your free family up north is waiting for you. Remember to follow the north star.Be brave. XO,Your Free Family

    ReplyDelete