Friday, January 15, 2010

From the Diary of "Priscilla" Shaum


Tuesday, January 12th, 1645, 8pm

Dear Diary,

I woke up at 6am. I had to milk the cow and collect the eggs from the chicken coop. I helped mom make eggs for breakfast in a heavy iron skillet I held over the fireplace. Then I went to wake up my little siblings Peter and Abigail. When I finished washing the wooden dishes in the basin I left and then I walked to school with Zacharia. When we got to Dame School I sat next to Malory and Gwendolyn. We kept reading our book The Way To Sail. Our school teacher Ms. Felicity is rich so she can afford books. Not many people are rich in Plymouth. The book reminds me about sailing from England. We also studied our alphabet on our hornbooks. This is my last year in Dame School. I'm going to miss my friends. After Dame School was over I walked home with Jeremiah. Me and Jeremiah are neighbors so we usually walk home from Dame School together. When I got home Dad and Peter came back from fishing. Peter is too young to go to school so he's home all day doing chores. Abigail is just a baby so she can't go to school either. I helped mom fry salmon in the heavy iron skillet over the fire. After dinner me and Peter played marbles. Abigail watched us. After that I worked on my quilt a little. Then I went to sleep with Peter and Abigail.

Priscilla

3 comments:

  1. Priscilla is a very helpful child. I could not run the house, feed all the animals, cook all the meals and sew all the clothes for everyone without Prissy. I hope we can find a suitable match for her when she gets just a few years older.
    - Clarissa Shaum (Priscilla's Mother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Priscilla and Clarissa,
    It is a shame that I don't have a daughter to help me get my work done. Nay, I do chores all day long while my lazy cat sleeps by the hearth!
    Maybe one day he will at least learn to catch mice!
    Love,
    Ms. Thorne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms. Thorne,

    I don't really know what to do with your cat, Ms. Thorne but I really hope one day it will catch mice.

    Love,
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete